Cheddar, Herb, and Bacon Scones by Evelyn Paul
4-6 slices of thick-cut bacon
2½ c. all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. sea salt
¾ c. cold unsalted butter cut into ½-inch pieces
2 lg. cold eggs, beaten
½ c. + 2 tsp. cold heavy cream
4 oz. high-quality, cold aged cheddar cheese, crumbled
3 scallions, chopped
1. Crisp bacon over medium heat. Drain, chop, and place in refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 375°.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the butter and mix until the ingredients resemble a cornmeal texture.
4. Add eggs, ½ c. cream, and cheddar. Mix by hand until just combined. Fold in scallions and bacon.
5. Transfer dough to a well-floured board. Form two 7-inch rounds. Cut each into six wedges.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the wedges to the sheet. Brush them with remaining cream and bake 20-25 minutes, until the scones are golden brown on top and bottom.
7. Allow to cool and firm about 10 minutes before removing from sheet (best if served the same day).